Thursday, March 18, 2010

HE WHO SINGS WELL, PRAYS TWICE

I'm so sorry for the long absence. I can't believe that this is my first blog this year, and we're already in March. I have a lot of catching up to do.

St. Augustine said "Qui bene cantat bis orat". In English this means, he who sings well, prays twice.

There are so many times, I've tried to pray, but I find that my mind's too busy or I keep getting distracted, or sometimes, I find myself dozing off.

However, when I'm singing, it's a different thing altogether. I can sing and sing and sing, and then prayer comes naturally. Sometimes, I'm in the mood for choruses, and other times, it's me and my hymn book.

I sing songs like O God our help in Ages past, and while singing, I remember to that Him for where I am today - that I was born, went to school, received an education, got married, have children, have a career, and the list is endless.

When I sing "Great is thy faithfulness", I realise that He truly has been faithful. There are so many things that I didn't consult Him about, because I was ignorant; but He made them work for my good.

When I sing "Through all the changing scenes of life", I remember all that my times are in His hands.

My people, let's sing and sing  and sing. Most importantly, let's teach our children how to sing. Do you remember when we would have morning assembly with our Songs of Praise hymn books? Most schools don't do that anymore. Most of the hymns I know today, I learnt in school. I even know some of them off head. It is indeed a worthy heritage.

In closing, I quote from Ephesians 5:19 - "Speak out to one another in Paslms and hymns and spiritual songs, offering praise with voices (and instruments) and making melody with all your heart to the Lord". Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment