Sunday, May 9, 2010

LORD WHY HIM, AND NOT ME?

For the past few weeks, entertainment news columns have been awash with the news about the death of a young Nigerian artiste called Dagrin.
I thought that I had never heard of this particular artiste until I read that he had written the song kondo. Surprisingly, I knew the song because my son had drawn my attention to it as a song that he had heard and liked while he was at NYSC camp. I remember us laughing about the fact that the song was in Yoruba, and that his Yoruba was bound to improve if he listened to more Yoruba songs.
Dagrin (Dapo Olaitan Olanipekun) died at the age of 27 in a fatal motor accident. He ran into a stationary trailer in front of Mushin police station. He was rushed to Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH), and barely twenty-four hours after he was admitted to LUTH, its resident doctors went on strike to protest government neglect.
I cried. I cried because this young man could have become something - President, Governor, Pastor. He was well on his way to becoming something.
Some people said that he probably had been drinking; but I had to ask God, 'there's nothing that this young man did, that most youths don't do, so Lord, why him and not anybody else; why him and not me?'
I know that it isn't because You love me more than You love your saints, or is it because You love them too much and want them with You? Or is it that they've run their own race and have done what You sent them to do?
What then, is my purpose on this earth. Am I doing what You brought me to this earth for?
This time last year, I wouldn't have been able to answer that question positively; but now I know that I can. After years of running helter skelter, going for various programmes, night vigils, joining prayer groups and helping other people run their own race, I finally knew what my purpose was. It was so simple, that I almost missed it. In fact, for two whole years, I dodged it because I refused to accept that was what God wanted of me. But He is so merciful, He waited for me and kept guiding me until I realised it.
Thank You Lord for waiting for me. Thank You for Your patience. Thank You for not raising others to take my place, and thank You for raising up helpers to assist me in doing this work.
I'm sure that by now, you're all curious about what my purpose is. That, my people, is a story for another day.
Until then, I pray that God will help each and everyone of you find their purpose. We will all fulfil destiny in Jesus Mighty and Glorious Name, Amen.

Psalm 103: 8 -11
"The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy.
He will not always chide: neither will he keep his anger for ever.
He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.
For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him".

No comments:

Post a Comment